Sunday 22 April 2012

A Vintage Visit.......

What a week!  Even though it was a 4 not 5 day week for the first week back at school it was full-on!!  Just re-training the body clock was enough to wear anyone out!  The week ended on a high for me though; yesterday I had extremely inspirational day out in Frome, Somerset at a Vintage Bazaar.  I managed to doze on the way courtesy of a First Great Western Railways and arrived not knowing what to expect (a virgin in this area!) but full of anticipation.  I was not let down.  In the Cheese & Grain building just by the town's main car park were over 100 stalls brimming with every conceivable aspect of vintage living: clothing, accessories, textiles, toys, books, wallpapers, gardening paraphanalia etc. etc. I paid my £1 (what value!) admission fee and set forth.  After half an hour I decided I need a strategy to get the most out of the next few hours so ordered a latte and piece of cake in the pop-up cafe to consider my plan of attack.  All the stalls were wonderfully presented and full of charm and character.  To add to the atmosphere the organisers had arranged for a 1940's band to play and sing their way through the day; lots of singing along going on (not too loudly though, I didn't want to empty the place!|)  How did I get to hear about this event....;a regular at Friday's Totnes Flea Market (when on hols obviously ) I often have a rummage on a stall called "Shabby Chick" (a play on the Shabby Chic style).  She stocks beautifully refreshed and restored table linens, bed linens, tea cosies, nightdresses, little bits of china and some children's pj's and dresses.  You can have a look at what she gets up to at www.facebook.com/shabbychick   Anyhow, when I was at her stall a couple of weeks ago I picked up a flyer advertising this vintage bazaar as she was due to have a stall there; so I planned it into my diary.  You may ask what all this has to do with a supper club. Well I think they all stem from a certain type of mindset.  Break away from mass marketing and media pressure, try a different approach to some of the things in your life; fill your life with interesting things and interesting people; get out of the habit of doing what everybody else does; focus on life's simple pleasures. Some of the utilitarian, yet characterful and charming items I saw (and maybe purchased!)yesterday I hope to incorporate into the way I prepare and present Secret Stirrings events.  What could be more lovely than reusing serving platters, candlesticks and the like at my tables...imagine the scenes they've witnessed in their lifetimes at dining tables through the generations...if only they could talk!

Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment